East Belfast trouble follows shots incident

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by batfink5537, Jan 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. batfink5537

batfink5537 War Hero

Loyalists have attacked police with fireworks, stones and golf balls amid further trouble in east Belfast.

Cars have also been set on fire. Police have advised people to avoid Templemore Avenue and Castlereagh Street.

Earlier, a 38-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after shots were reportedly fired at police.

About 100 loyalists targeted officers after an earlier protest against the council's decision to stop flying the union flag over city hall every day.

Bricks, bottles, fireworks and smoke canisters were thrown by the rioters on the Lower Newtownards Road.

Up to 1,000 loyalists had protested outside Belfast City Hall over the decision to fly the union flag only on designated days.

The chairman of the Police Federation, Terry Spence, said he had no doubt that paramilitaries had been involved in the violence.

"This is a very sinister development and quite clearly the police came under fire this afternoon from a gunman," he said.

"I think what it clearly does demonstrate is that there has been paramilitary involvement in these attacks on police and it has been orchestrated, in the case of east Belfast, by the UVF (Ulster Volunteer Force)."

However, Democratic Unionist assembly member Robin Newton said it was too early to say whether the violence had been organised.

"I'm going to wait until the police actually indicate that from their intelligence, they haven't indicated that these riots have been orchestrated by the UVF," he said.

"I think we do need to be concerned about the number of injuries on the police officers - this is just not a good situation for the east of the city."

Three other men were arrested during the earlier trouble which happened close to the nationalist Short Strand area.

Some loyalists claimed it was sparked when they were attacked by republicans.

Police responded to the attacks on them by

BBC News - East Belfast trouble follows shots incident
  2. jagman

jagman LE

They should have left the flag flying over City Hall then.
  3. Belfast would be a better place if East Belfast was fenced in and napalmed until all of the sub humans who consider it reasonable to cause a month's worth of violence over a bit of dyed cloth were tiny little scorch marks on the pavement.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    oldmanron and Boozeguzzler like this.
  4. jagman

jagman LE

Perhaps easier to sack the idiots who decided to provoke the violence in the first place?
    I neither condone nor support the violence or the muppets participating in it but it seems foolish for Belfast City Council not to have considered the consequences when they decided to take the flag down.

As for it being a bit of dyed cloth, its a bit more important than that.
  5. Every other city in the UK appears to survive perfectly well without a flag flying 24/7. I'm sure Belfast would too if the pond life could drag itself out of the 17th century for a few minutes.

Rumpelstiltskin likes this.
  6. jagman

jagman LE

That as may be, but the City Council knew there would be a backlash. They chose to do it anyway.
    Credit where its due and the Council should take its share.
    SauceDoctor likes this.
  7. The morons doing this are on constant backlash standby 24 hours a day. Any excuse for a few nights of showing how loyal they are by chucking a few bricks at the Queen's police.

Or is the council supposed to be run by fear of what the unemployed of Belfast will do every time they make a democratic decision?

8. SauceDoctor

SauceDoctor LE

It's not just about the flag, it's seen by the Unionist community as yet another bit of chipping away at their identity by the pan-Nationalist front. For what it's worth, I have always considered the Alliance Party as Nationalist, ever since their support of the Anglo-Irish agreement.

Nationalists and Republicans seemed to get whatever they desired through violence of threat thereof ("We haven't gone away you know"). It's hardly surprising that loyalists are trying the same tactics.

All of that said, attacking the Police is absolutely not on.
    kiltedrunner likes this.
  9. tiger stacker

tiger stacker LE

Call me a cynic but you seem to lack impartiality
  10. jagman

jagman LE

Democratic decision? Or a deliberatley provocative decision?

It is not difficult to see why some Loyalists were going to get a tad uppity about it.
    As it was entirely predictable then it can only be viewed as deliberatley provocative. The City Councilors are as much to blame as the ******* attacking the Police.
    tiger stacker likes this.
  11. batfink5537

batfink5537 War Hero

I think I would have to agree with you on that one, They must have known there would be a back lash of some kind.
  12. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Cant really blame the shinners, they have to show the true believers that they got something after all these wasted years.
    Then again even they are probably sitting not being able to believe their luck at how this thing has escalated and how the prods have reacted ( predictably).
    Shots fired, that's really bad someone could get hurt. Considering its the prods doing the shooting there's a good chance it won't be the intended targets.

It'll be like the aftermath of the Anglo Irish Agreement and Drumcree. Loyalists, shifting more police out of their homes than PIRA or the new boys ever could.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using ARRSE mobile app
  13. I haven't seen large numbers of nationalists on the streets for near on a month costing the country millions in lost trade, petrol bombing police and attempting to shut down the entire country recently, have you?
  14. As I said, the rest of the UK seems to manage without a flag to remind them what country they're in all day every day.

So the councillors are supposed to make decisions based on whether or not it'll have sub humans on the streets chucking petrol bombs at police and not what the people they represent want? Is that how democracy in the UK works these days - if you don't like it then throw some bricks at the police and then say it's all the politicians' fault?
    Cloggie likes this.
  15. Your_Mums_Pal

Your_Mums_Pal LE

How the hell do they organise such a big rammy so quickly?

Do they use facebook etc?