Does smoking Cigars effect running and cardio exercise?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by The_Four, Feb 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The_Four

The_Four Old-Salt

As well as your lungs? I stopped smoking a few weeks ago but really enjoyed smoking and the taste of cigars but I don't smoke due to trying to get fitter. Is smoking cigars going to make it harder to get fit or not? cheers
  2. thecoops

thecoops LE

Is this a f#cking wah !
  3. llech

llech LE

Yes......................
  4. Blokeonabike

Blokeonabike LE

Is this a wah?

Of course it will hinder your fitness. Less than smoking cigarrettes maybe (most cigar smokers smoke less and inhale less deeply) but still not a healthy choice.
  5. The_Four

The_Four Old-Salt

No I seriously want to know. I don't smoke fags anymore so I wanted to know if Cigars screwed you up the way Cigarettes do?
  6. The_Four

The_Four Old-Salt

But you don't "Take in" the smoke with a cigar?
  7. PapaGolf

PapaGolf LE

I'm the same, quit the cigarettes but still like the odd cigar. Only problem i have is i end up smoking the cigar like a bloody cigarette and end up proper fucked the next morning
  8. The_Seagull

The_Seagull LE

Yeah, the burning ash gets in your eyes as you run.
  9. The_Four

The_Four Old-Salt

Did it fcuk your fitness?
  10. llech

llech LE

I took up smoking a pipe a few years ago, whilst I loved the flavour the lung butter I was coughing up made me pack it in. So in answer to your question stop being a prick.:)
  11. The_Four

The_Four Old-Salt

Ok no lung butter for me then!
  12. Blokeonabike

Blokeonabike LE

Just to be clear most of the damaging compounds in cigarrette smoke are also found in cigar smoke. There may be a benefit to switching to proper leaf-wrapped long-filler cigars in that they are more of a natural product and have less chemical additives.

If you must smoke cigars then do as I do and only smoke very expensive ones very occasionally.
  13. WalterWarry

WalterWarry Old-Salt

Give up all smoking now whilst you are still young enough. Why increase the risk of throat or mouth cancer ?
  14. Blokeonabike

Blokeonabike LE

By the way, you DO take in the smoke with a cigar. You may not inhale as deeply but you are, nonetheless, exposing yourself to a cocktail of poisons and carcinogens. Your chances of getting deep lung tissue damage may be lessened slightly but your chances of mouth, nose and throat damage (including cancer) remain the same.

If you are serious about improving your fitness stop making excuses (I suggest you alreday knew the answer to your own question). Stop smoking altogether and while you are at it cut down on alcohol too.
  15. Cuddles

Cuddles LE

You should give the self abuse the heave-ho as well. It may send you blind. I'm over here.