Dodgy Minister defends useless Snatch vehicles

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by naguere, Apr 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Had a look for Tavern pictures online, and have found zero, apart from a mention of it on army.com and something about it on some driving website.

Basically it looks like a yank bank armoured car (big and boxy), and th eopposite of a tardis (big on the outside and sod all room on the inside!).

Have piled into one before thinking I was in for a luxury when everyone else ended up in a wendy... ended up laying under someone and laying on top of someone and stayed that way till we got back!
  2. felixthefox

felixthefox Old-Salt

saw one of these new Pinzgauers on the road near RAF Brize norton this morning 'kin tiny it was! but looked the bees knees
    hope they prove to be as good as it looked
  3. doomsayer

doomsayer War Hero

I've just read this blog which is a collection of criticism of using Snatch Landrovers in Iraq/Afghanistan. I've searched Arrse for this story and haven't found it - my apologies if I've missed it.

According to Hansard the following exchange took place:

Lord Astor of Hever:..."the Snatch Land Rover is not remotely adequate for patrolling areas where insurgents use landmines. Can the Minister assure the House that the Government will provide our soldiers with equipment that is fit for this role?"

Lord Drayson: "My Lords, I do not accept that Snatch Land Rovers are not appropriate for the role. We must recognise the difference between protection and survivability. It is important that we have the trade-offs that we need for mobility. The Snatch Land Rover provides us with the mobility and level of protection that we need."

Personally, I can't believe that Lord Drayson has the nerve to make the comment above.

Why doesn't he just say "It's the most suitable vehicle that we have at the moment and we can't afford any new ones, because of all the money we've poured into more popular services like health and education. We'd love to add additional armour, but they can't take the weight. The truth is that the troops will just have to deal with the risks!"
  4. crabby

crabby LE

Too fcuking right.

But is there any vehicle that has protection against the majority of IEDs used out there? Surely a shaped charge is going to go through just about anything?
  5. Tooldtodieyoung

Tooldtodieyoung Old-Salt

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=33001.html

I posted something similar a while ago... Agreed there is not alot you can do against shaped charges,.. the US is losing M1's to these now.

But last weeks Jane's talked about the fact that the US were buying more RG31's, we sold all of ours through Witham's..

Any armour is better than none, the US is investing huge amounts of money to protect their troops and convoys...

IED's seem to be the major threat, issuing enhanced CBA is not the answer... protecting the occupants is more important.

But hey we are drawing our troops down now aren't we... !!!??? so no need to spend the money..

Call me a cynic but the politicians don't want to spend the money.. we are after all expendable
  6. doomsayer

doomsayer War Hero

Not sure - How about electric armour or similar?

However, my original point still stands - Lord Drayson is talking out of his arrse; we don't use them because they're the best, we use them because they're all we've got!
  7. Whilst I'm not so sure about the entirety of the minister's statement, he's correct to say that it's a trade-off of protection against mobility - you'd need an MBT's armour (or maybe more) to protect against the IEDs targetting our forces. Snatch is about as good as you can get at the moment. Science just ain't managed to find a lightweight armour to protect against shaped charge attack.
  8. crabby

crabby LE

Just had a look - RG31s are 8.5tonnes - surely that gives mobility problems - we've seen enough photos of snatches in ditches recently

Also although RG31 has the V shaped hull, aren't a lot of IED threats coming side on? Ie. Roadside bombs... Agreed that more armour is generally better, reckon those Panthers will cope any better (even though they're not snatch replacements)?
  9. Listy

Listy LE

Wasn't there something not so long ago about an EOD unit getting Mamba MRV's?
    I saw on the news the other day the iraqi's driving around in Mamba's as well.
  10. biffa

biffa Old-Salt

11. Sven

Sven

So if You had a free wish, which apc/vehicle would You go with - would it be fit for role???
  12. Sven

Sven

An RG31 was knocked out and a SSgy killed in Iraq on May 4th
  13. MrPVRd

MrPVRd LE

Issue Bliar a "snatch" vehicle as ministerial transport, and see how he likes it.

These snout-troughs are not worth a single drop of sweat.
  14. chocolate_frog

chocolate_frog

Bit of metallic paint, some alloys and get 'em issued.

John prescott ceases to be "Two jags", but becomes "two snatches" (sounds kinky).

Edit to add, then thought it was rubbish so didn't.
  15. Bossdog

Bossdog LE

The Tavern used in Northern Ireland would be suitable for that category, however the weight of it and fuel range might go against it being used in Iraq /Afg.