1. Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Crusader 80

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by velcrostripes, Oct 30, 2010.

1. velcrostripes

velcrostripes Clanker MiA (Donor)

Am I right in saying this was the biggest mobization of NATO since WW2 or was that Lionheart in 84 ?
    Some brilliant piccies of Crusader/Spearpoint/Lionheart can be found on this link...
    Fotos ! Spearpoint 1980
    Pull up a sandbag and lets hear the stories.....
  2. pongo6863

pongo6863 Clanker Supporter - GCM

Is 1980 old or is it just me?
  3. velcrostripes

velcrostripes Clanker MiA (Donor)

It is 30 years ago....Trouble is , seems like yesterday .
    fastmedic likes this.
  4. Stonker

Stonker Clanker

From the Biography of Gen Sir Martin Farndale:

I haven't found the figures for CRUSADER yet - but I do know that the CO of my Bn didn't take with him to LIONHEART everybody from the Bn (he had loads of folk on courses, as the Bn was still re-orging after coming back from Berlin), and this led to him getting the sack later that year.
  5. Stonker

Stonker Clanker

From HANSARD:

Not conclusive, but it feels like LIONHEART was bigger
  6. 4(T)

4(T) Clanker

Think Lionheart was a lot bigger.

Actually, I think Lionheart was the only worthwhile exercise in my military career - it was certainly the only one which gave any insight into what a real mobilisation might look like.
    fastmedic likes this.
  7. still staggin

still staggin Clanker

I didn't see much of crusader as i was stuck on 309 for the month, but moving around on lionheart i did think it was a bit like how it might have been , sides of houses missing, and flattened street furniture hit by knackered out tankies/afv crews etc. seems like the future old boys will have more exciting memories than tired drivers.
  8. Tiger-Monkey2

Tiger-Monkey2 Clanker

Crusader 80 was my first big exercise after leaving junior bleeders and joining my battalion. 30 years ago! Where did the years go?
  9. Ulster_Rifleman

Ulster_Rifleman Clanker

Lionheart was the biggie... That's when Heseltine (Tarzan) wriote a letter to all the employers begging them to release all the TA / reservists. It all went well except in my case where there was a transport clusterfcuk and myself and another 150 odd blokes all queued up at a DB station waiting for a train while a piper entertained all and sundry (who stood around ever so slightly pissed off).

Needless to say we got to our GDP location and didn't buy any tickets
  10. tankie88

tankie88 Clanker

Feck me....30 years ago,Jeez i'm old...lol
  11. cbgramc

cbgramc Clanker

My first big FTX
  12. PARAMED

PARAMED

Lionheart was said to the biggest and last of these type of exercises, I was at 5 ADFA then, we loaded our 432's on flatbeds in Munster to get to location.
  13. Stonker

Stonker Clanker

Look on the bright side: that's only the same time interval as the one between the Normandy Landings, and Abba winning the Eurovision Song Contest . . .
  14. Tremaine

Tremaine

Trem' remembers a fookin massive exercise during the late 70's with the QRIH, we went from Southampton to Denmark??? on DFDS ferries. Feckin great sailing, scran was the dogs wotsits during the voyage, and we even had discos on board (big mistake as it turned out :) . No birds, though as I remember. Was it Crusader or Lionheart?
  15. rivetcounter

rivetcounter Clanker

Drove from Tidworth to BAOR for that one , via Colchester. Just to umpire a Yank Wksp.