1. Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Commanding Officer - 3 Para quitting the Army in disgust.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DesktopCommando, Nov 17, 2007.

1. JoeCivvie

JoeCivvie Clanker MiA (Donor)

Labour's 3 'Esses' - Smear, Spin, Sleaze.
  2. Spot_the_Dog

Spot_the_Dog Clanker

Definately! He'll turn up in an amazing job in the city within a month, which was 100% the real reason he's decided to foxtrot oscar. Then he'll fondly look at his Saville Row suits, the lunches at The ritz and the poor accountantcy clerk trying to work out where all his pay is going to go.

They all do it. Get phone call grom Giles - get offered a huge salary - get advice on quitting before your 22 - whine about the PBI - leave or get sacked - join Canary Wharf Club - wonder what all the fuss was about - be remembered as a 'bloody good CO who loved his men.

How many of his staff will be ex-forces? I'll tell you for one, he'll never know because he'll never ask.
  3. The_Duke

The_Duke Clanker Moderator MiA (Donor)

Spot,

Quick question - do you actually know the man, or is that just your perspective on how you think he will behave based on your prejudices?

I do know him, have worked for him, and you couldn't be much further from the truth if you tried.
  4. DozyBint

DozyBint Clanker

Which decade are you living in? You need more than a friend and a good regiment to get into the City these days. As for the man, I don't know him, but having seen and heard him speak, he obviously feels very passionately about the issues he states caused him to quit.
  5. Spot_the_Dog

Spot_the_Dog Clanker

So, for starters then, as you are 'best buds', why did he not resign 20 years ago when the pay, equipment and accomodation were much much worse? I was serving in Aldershot in 91, so I'm expecting a really good answer for this one.
  6. Spot_the_Dog

Spot_the_Dog Clanker

You have not read my post properly. And you are incorrect that the Old Boy Network has faded away. You are just outside of it that's all.
  7. The_Duke

The_Duke Clanker Moderator MiA (Donor)

Not "best buds" - I know him and have worked for him in the past. The pay, equipment and accomodation has never, ever been good enough, but 20 years ago he was not in the position to try to do anything about it.

He was a successful officer, and is now making a success of himself in the City. I am not sure why you find that so offensive?
  8. sneeky_turd

sneeky_turd Clanker

I don't pretend to know all the reasons for him leaving the Army but the fact that he stuck up for his blokes with reference to poor kit etc, shows his packing more balls than alot of the top brass these days. Interesting to note also is that when 3PARA returned to Afghan in 2008, only 1 in 3 of the Junior Ranks had served in the 2006 tour. Showing that after a hard tour many blokes get out, because they have done the job they joined up to do, ticked the box they've always wanted to tick and then get out to move on to different things.

Why didn't he quit 20yrs ago? Probably because at that point he hadn't commanded a Bn in arguably the most prolonged period of intense fighting seen since the Korean War, and seen for himself the poor treatment his wounded blokes recieved/the lack of kit etc,
    Aldershot in 1991 doesnt really compare with Helmand 2006 does it.

Traditionally Para Reg blokes love to hate "hat" officers like him who come over to the Reg, so the fact that he not only managed to earn the respect but admiration from his blokes in both 1 and 3PARA shows the calibre of the guy.
  9. hackle

hackle Clanker

Yup, and in 91 ST was a Capt serving in a BFG-based Bn returned from Op Granby. Not sure if your accommodation in Aldershot would have been top of his concerns at that time, or if his resignation then would have made much of an impact.

If your general point is that people who make a "public" resignation will have taken a number of factors into account including their alternative career options and their family responsibilities, and their own personalities, egos etc etc, then I agree with you, it seems to me no more than a statement of the obvious.

Following your argument, no-one should ever criticise the system on resignation unless they (a) had sh1t career prospects in the service and (b) have sh1t career prospects outside.
  10. Whet

Whet Clanker

I actually think that honourable resignations are the way to do it. Anonymous briefings and leaks or emails 'forwarded by the family' are disgraceful.
  11. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup Clanker Book Reviewer

Didn't he voice his concerns before the tour?
    I seem to remember he talked them over with Prince of Wales who called the MoD who gave him a rifting