1. Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Combat Estimate (7 Questions thingy!!)

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by plw1970, Oct 5, 2006.

1. plw1970

plw1970

I know this topic has had a lot of hits on this means however, I am confused! After finally getting my head round the 7 Q's I have heard a duty rumour that it has now changed back to the old style of Combat Estimate ie: Factors: Enemy & Ground, Courses Open: Left Centre Right etc... etc...

Can anyone shed some light on this, and tell me the new format if it has indeed changed?
  2. Hescoheed

Hescoheed Clanker

Just come off JOTAC and the format is still the 7Q's. There was no mention of any impending U-Turn on that.

The old combat est splits down into the 7Q's anyway, look at TAMs insert.
  3. The_Duke

The_Duke Clanker Moderator MiA (Donor)

Well it is certainly still taught at the Joint Command and Staff College, so I would carry on regardless if I were you.
  4. plw1970

plw1970

I heard that this had changed from a mate of mine who had recently completed PSBC, could it have changed at this command level as apposed to higher command?
  5. HVM_Boy

HVM_Boy Clanker

is there anywhere on line where I can get a pdf of the 2005 TAM and the Infantry Insert?

I thought they might be available on ArmyNET, but no....

... or could someone email them to me?

Ta...

HVM_Dude
  6. Hescoheed

Hescoheed Clanker

Should have them at your unit/sub unit. Not sure about simply getting an e-copy and emailing a restricted doc like that. They may be on the e-battlebox if you manage to get a copy of that.
  7. Sideshow_Bob

Sideshow_Bob Swinger

I just got back of JOTAC too, and as far as I am aware, the 7 Q's are being used at Bde level and below. The 3 column format is too time consuming to be of everyday use. Of course, how much use the 7Q's is for us Loggies is a different matter...
  8. Hescoheed

Hescoheed Clanker

Come on SB, we wouldn't want to leave the Loggies out of the IPB colouring in exercise (Q's 1-3) :D
  9. untallguy

untallguy Clanker Book Reviewer Reviewer

I've had several arguments at Deepcut on this. I believe that 7Qs can be used for loggies - it just depends on what you ask under the main questions - it can be done!

Also, it means that all arms are using the same format.
  10. Bad_Crow

Bad_Crow Clanker

At section level its is EMLAWD and "So What".

At Platoon level and above its 7Q's.

Can you not sign out TAMS from your CQ???

3 Column is the best method. It allows little margin for error and helps the section commander to suppress the urge to just dive straight into things. One thing Herrick has shown us is that a good estimate instead of "I'll go.........LEFT!" is key to saving lives.

Time is Ammo!!!
    Rushing is Lives!!!
  11. untallguy

untallguy Clanker Book Reviewer Reviewer

See PM
  12. The_Duke

3 Column format (ie full estimate) is indeed the most thorough method - and takes the longest time, which a sect comd is unlikely to have. Did you use the full three column format in Helmand then, or are you telling us what you think the 3 Para BG section commanders are using?
  13. Bad_Crow

Bad_Crow Clanker

You really are a c0ck. Do you honestly think there is only 3 para in Afghanistan at the moment. See your PM!
  14. The_Duke

Thanks - crow by name, crow attitude by nature. PM replied to.