1. Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

colchester, whats it like?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by contactfront, Dec 13, 2008.

1. contactfront

contactfront Swinger

hey all,

I was curious what colchester is like, is there much to the town? night life etc and what are the married quarters like? il be being stationed as either 2 or 3 para and was interested to see what people thought of the place!

I put this here because its much more lively then the actual property forum.

thanks in advance.
  2. mon_colonel

mon_colonel Clanker

I was stationed in Collie in the 80's firsdt at MCTC on Berechurch Hall Lane and then at Hydrabad Barracks at the top of the hill, its an ok place normal squaddie town, the Castle and the Black Horse were good pubs if you wanted a bevvy in town, but there were a few villages just outside the main town which were a change from the squaddie pubs.
  3. twosup

twosup Clanker

I'm in colchester now, and have been on and off for the last 10 years. I believe its one of the best postings you can get, the town is great - if a little far from everywhere else in the country, but the married quarters on the whole let the place down.
    i
    If you dont enjoy colly, you wont enjoy anywhere as a squaddie.
  4. mon_colonel

mon_colonel Clanker

Is that gypsy tattooist Dave still in Collie bottom of the hill right at the roundabout ?
  5. twosup

twosup Clanker

Bottom of the hill, turn right, there is a totooist, but gypsy???
  6. Mag_to_grid

Mag_to_grid Clanker

Dave Ross' tattoos?

Collie was great when I was there, the garrison is only a short walk from the town and there is everything that you could ever need, it is a "proper" town, not just a garrison town.
  7. contactfront

contactfront Swinger

Yea from what Ive seen on the web it seems like a pretty sound posting, you mention the marriage quarters being a bit of a let down, only reason I ask is because the mrs wouldnt mind a bit more info, Ss it normally flats for couples no kids? do you get much choice or is it pretty much down to what's available? anyone rent property despite having military accom available?

thanks for the responses.
  8. twosup

twosup Clanker

dont think there are any flats? i may be corrected? quarters are not good, but all only 15 min to town centre.
    dont worry, look forward to it, its great.
  9. mon_colonel

mon_colonel Clanker

Davey Ross thats the fella, his bird was head to toe inked up and he'd play some foul bluies while you got ya tat done... :D