Chindits

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by bigjimdangley, Jul 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. bigjimdangley

bigjimdangley LE

Hello all. I want to read all about OP Tuesday and Wingates mob. Any suggestions on a decent read?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Tremaine

Tremaine

Tuesday or Thursday???? Now you're asking. Good call.
    Op Thursday for instance “Thursday” cost the Chindits 3,628 battle casualties, and a lot of sickies. Slim ordered their disbandment in late 1944. Heavy losses, plus Wingate’s death, sealed the Chindits’ fate. Chindits had helped defeat the Japanese invasion of India by distracting the equivalent of two Japanese divisions that otherwise would have been available at Kohima or Imphal.

On a side note there was a video on the Chindits available Chindits Documentary

There are other websites about this, as well as our own great site Arrse.

In short, there's shiteloads. Have a look here Chindits Special Force Burma 1943-1944 .The Imperial War Museum and the Army Museum have lots of stuff on the Chindits. Try Amazon, there are loads of books referring to their early days.

Or read Phil Chinnery's book. Wingate's Lost Brigade: The First Chindit Operations 1943: Amazon.co.uk: Philip Chinnery: Books

3. Bernard Fergusson and John Masters

• Like Like x 1
  4. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

Just reading John Masters "The Road Past Mandalay". A great book especially if read after his earlier "Bugles and A Tiger".
    The paragraph where he is forced to order the shooting of his severely wounded before the withdrawal from the Blackpool Block is truly heart rending. It puts a few things into perspective.

5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I would argue that by the time the Chindits were disbanded they had fulfilled their reason for existence. PLus, as you say, the casualties were unsustainable. My father in law was on both Longcroft & Thursday, he was unsure what was worse, The Japs, Malaria or Stillwell. Made no bones about how he hated that man.

6. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

MY father in law told me how they would also leave someone behind with just a pistol and after the patrol had gone for some time they would hear a single shot.

7. Bushmills

Bushmills LE

Wingate was supposed to have been pretty strange as well.

8. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

John Masters - go out and get all his books now.

9. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

I've heard him described as Marmite, you either love him or hate him, very few have a middle ground.
    Stillwell was a different kettle of fish, he abused the Chindits, he also did the same with Merrill's Marauders, fell out with Chiang Kai-shek which resulted in him being sacked although it wasn't put that way.

10. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Definitely Bernard Ferguson, written in the 50's but still very readable. He was a Chindit himself.

11. IIRC "Across the Chindwin" (1945) was essentially a re-draft of his after action report on the 1st Chindit expedition. It is quite a harrowing read, and i think the majority of mentally scarred chindits came from this first endeavour (not to say the second wasn't without its horrors too)

12. tom_dkg

tom_dkg LE

13. Tremaine

Tremaine

While back in my home county this year, popped in to the Leicester Newarke Houses Museum which has been done up to house the Royal Leicestershire Regiment (Tigers) collection. Leicester City Council - The Royal Leicestershire Regiment Gallery
    Two battalions of the Tigers (2nd and 7th) served with the Chindits.

One Leicester Tigers man, H.G. Lambert 1913 - 2002, served with 7th Battalion and Operation Thursday. Harold Lambert was wounded in a Japanese surprise attack, shot through the leg. He was lucky he could still walk, if not he may have been left behind. Two days later he was rescued by Chindits of the West African Brigade and evacuated to India.

Operation Thursday Order of Battle
    Special Forces Indian 3rd Army
    CHINDITS

DIVISIONAL COMMANDERS
    MAJ/GEN. Orde.C. Wingate (D.S.O.)
    MAJ/GEN. W.D.A. Lantaigne

H.Q. Special Forces
    2nd Btn Burma Rifles 145th Brigade Coy R.A.S.C.
    219th Fld Park Coy (Royal Engineers) 61st Air Supply Coy R.A.S.C.

Divisional Artillery
    160th Field Regt (Royal Artillery) 69th Light A?A Regt Royal Artillery)

16th Infantry Brigade(Enterprise)
    Commanded By Brig. B.H. Fergusson
    1st Btn Queens Own Royal Regt 2nd Btn Royal Leicestershire Regt
    45th Recon Regt R.A.C. 2nd Fld Coy Royal Engineers
    51/69th Fld Regt Royal Artillery

77th Infantry Brigade(Emphasis)
    Commanded By Brig. M. Calvert.
    1st Btn Kings Regt (Liverpool) 1st Btn Lancashire Fusiliers
    1st Btn South Staffordshire Regt 3rd Btn 6th Gurkha Rifles
    3rd Btn 9th Gurkha Rifles 4th Btn 8th Gurkha Rifles
    Mixed Coy of Royal & Indian Engineers

111th Infantry Brigade(Profound)
    Commanded by Brig. W.D,A. Lentaign
    1st Btn Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) 2nd Btn Kings Own Royal Regt
    3rd Btn 4th P.W.O. Gurkha Rifles 4th Btn 9th Gurkha Rifles
    Mixed Coy of Royal & Indian Engineers

14th Infantry Brigade(Javelin)
    Commander Brig. T.Brodie.
    1st Btn Beds & Herts Regt 2nd Btn York & Lancs Regt
    7th Btn Royal Leicestershire Regt 54th Fld Coy Royal Engineers
    2nd Btn The Black Watch Regt

3rd West African Brigade (Thunder)
    Commanded By Brig. Gillmore
    6th Btn Nigerian Regt 7th Btn Nigerian Regt
    12th Btn Nigerian Regt 3rd W/African Fld Ambulance
    7th Fld Coy W/African Engineers

23rd Infantry Brigade
    Commanded By Brig Perowne.
    1st Btn Essex Regt 4th Btn Border Regt
    12th Fld Coy Royal Engineers 60th Fld Regt Royal Artillery
    This Brigade trained as a Chindit Brigade,but was removed from Special Force and used elsewhere

Regiments Attached to 3rd Indian Division
    160th Fld Regt Royal Artillery (Four Troops)
    3rd Btn 9th Gurkha Rifles
    No1 Air Commando(U.S.A.F.)

Another book, by Tony Redding . "War in the Wilderness - The Chindits in Burma 1943 - 1944". It mentions in numerous places the Leicesters' 2nd and 7th Battalions and their Columns, and many of their men by name. It can be bought on line. Redding is the son of a Chindit who served with 2nd King's Own in 111 Brigade.

14. bigjimdangley

bigjimdangley LE

Thanks lads. I'm taking part in Exercise Chindit Challenge. It's a patrol based exercise/competition held in Brunei this summer. As part of the Garrison team posted out here we'll be up against 2 Para,45 Cdo, 1 and 2 RGR, The Brunei National DF and the Singapore Police.
    All my experience revolves around Armour and it's a scratch team. However, as part of the Garrison out here our DS for the beat up to the competition is the JWI centre and it's facilities. I don't think we'll win, but I think we'll give a good account of ourselves.....
    I thought I'd read a bit on a subject I know little about for a bit of inspiration. We had our first outing into the trees last week. It was arduous and challenging but brilliant nevertheless.
    Thanks for the replies. I'll get reading.