1. Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Blast Soldier Found Hanged While On Leave

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by CD05, Jan 5, 2013.

1. CD05

CD05 Clanker

"Trooper Robert Griffiths, 24, was one of three soldiers who escaped unhurt from the potentially deadly explosion in November 2011.
    The soldier, with the 1st The Queen's Dragoon Guards, later described surviving the blast from the improvised explosive device (IED) as a "buzz".
    At the time he was driving an upgraded 35-ton Scimitar Mk2 light tank, boasting new heavy armour, on routine patrol in Nahr-e Saraj, Afghanistan.
    Trooper Griffiths, who served in what is known as the Welsh cavalry, went on to praise the role the new Scimitar played in protecting them.
    He was found hanging at his parents' home in the village of Bishopston, near Swansea, South Wales, last Saturday evening.
    South Wales Police have confirmed they are investigating the death of a 24-year-old man at the location.
    A spokesman said the soldier's family had been informed and the death was not being treated as suspicious.
    "Police are investigating the death of a soldier who was serving with 1st The Queen's Dragoon Guards," an Army spokesman said.
    "Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this time," he added.
    Trooper Griffiths finished a gruelling seven-month tour of duty in Afghanistan in April last year.
    His regiment is based in barracks in Paderborn, Germany, but he was back in the UK on leave over the Christmas period.
    Trooper Griffiths' encounter with the potentially fatal IED was highlighted at the time in a Ministry of Defence online news release.
    Headlined: "Soldiers survive IED strike thanks to Scimitar," the article went on to chronicle the vehicle's lifesaving armour upgrade.
    It followed a period in Afghanistan when British patrol vehicles were perceived to be under-protected and putting the lives of soldiers at risk.
    The article continued: "Trooper Robert Griffiths, the Scimitar's driver, said the crew were in high spirits on returning to camp, but appreciated that their survival was due to the vehicle, which has been in service for just over two months."
    He was quoted as saying: "I'm massively impressed with the amount of protection the upgraded armour provided. It was obviously a shock, but I've never had such a buzz in my life

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  2. tuffy52

tuffy52 Clanker

RIP Trooper Robert Griffiths.
  3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin Clanker Book Reviewer Reviewer Supporter - ADC Reviews Editor

That is just so sad. I doubt it will be the last though, unfortunately.

At least Robert Griffiths is no longer troubled. RIP.
    rebel_with_a_cause and Feenix like this.
  4. fltpilot

fltpilot Clanker MiA (Donor)

RIP.
    Very Sad.
  5. Yokel

Yokel Clanker

RIP. Did he recieve adequate support following the traumatic events?

PS This was/is a general comment and not intended as speculation about medical or other issues.
  6. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt Clanker Book Reviewer

I doubt it, and the way we hype up xmas definately wouldn't have helped.

rip mate
  7. jimmys_best_mate

jimmys_best_mate Clanker MiA (Donor)

Unless you actually know Trooper Roberts or have access to his medical records can I suggest that discussing his mental health or what treatment/support he did or didn't get might not be a good idea?

Especially when, let's be honest, you don't actually have a clue what's happened and you're just guessing.
  8. moving-target-survivor

moving-target-survivor Clanker Supporter - GCM

9. Oyibo

Oyibo Clanker MiA (Donor)

Very sad indeed. RIP
  10. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt Clanker Book Reviewer

true but they've let everyone else down so I don't see why he should have been a special case. that's for another day though.
  11. jimmys_best_mate

jimmys_best_mate Clanker MiA (Donor)

That must be why there are thousands of swinging squaddies being cut down from drying rooms every year?

Nothing in the article even suggests that it was anything to do with his military career. As far as you're aware he could have found his missus in bed with his best mate that afternoon, he could have found out he had some incurable disease, he could just be the type of person who's prone to suicide.

You're guessing based on no evidence whatsoever.
  12. rgjbloke

rgjbloke Clanker

What ever the reason for this happening and I really don't think that's anything for anybody on here to speculate about, that's a matter for his family to find out about and try to cope with, what a tragic state of mind this young man must have been in and I can only imagine the terrible loss his family must feel losing him like this!

Rest in Peace to him and my condolences to his family and friends at this awful time.
    Oyibo likes this.
  13. batfink5537

batfink5537 Clanker MiA (Donor)

14. Spank-it

Spank-it Clanker

Christmas can be a very lonely period for many people. RIP Trooper.
  15. PoisonDwarf

PoisonDwarf Clanker

RIP fella. Another tragic waste of a young life.