1. Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Basic Parachute Course

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by raibeart, May 14, 2010.

1. raibeart

raibeart Crow

I hear that TA airborne troops do a shorter version of the BPC due to already having done some training. What training is this and how long does it take to complete?
    Also, does anyone know if there are courses available for TA soldiers this year? I heard at P Coy that there would be a better chance because the regular battalions are on Pre Deployment training.
  2. Stonker

Stonker Clanker

Hint: If - as this post suggests - you are looking for the easy route, Airborne is definitely not for you.

(and I'm a 'Hat' FFS!! )
  3. Thats correct Regs do 3 weeks, TA do 2 (difference TA train to L5 before going to Brize, on the course Regs do a night jump) It is just a bit of rolling around on some mats and takes a few Drill nights (when an APJI or PJI is in)

At the moment there is a beck log of Reg courses, but there are going to be slots for TA on reg courses if not fully subscribed. Also as from Mid Sept they'll be 2 Btns in Afghan
  4. Thats correct Regs do 3 weeks, TA do 2 (difference TA train to L5 before going to Brize, on the course Regs do a night jump) It is just a bit of rolling around on some mats and takes a few Drill nights (when an APJI or PJI is in)

At the moment there is a beck log of Reg courses, but there are going to be slots for TA on reg courses if not fully subscribed. Also as from Mid Sept they'll be 2 Btns in Afghan
  5. Squip

Squip Clanker

What i saw last time i was around, the whole block allocated was full recently, but i did see a sac (maroon beret and everything) on the course so cant be that full of regs if there letting him slide in, not that he hasnt earned the right to be there!

Also depends on what that single runways up to at brize, and if lyneham sends any more destruction brize way.

Operation requirment will always come first wont it, and brize is going to get more congested soon.
  6. bade

bade Swinger

The course is shorter mainly to get the ta blokes back to work (is getting taken as holiday for most people). Also planes were dedicated for the course, where as the regular course is if theres a plane available. You are supposed to ground train before arriving but it isnt essential. TA do do the night jumps but dont do the full dz and march off routine on the final jump that the regs do
  7. The_Duke

The_Duke Clanker Moderator MiA (Donor)

Wrong on so many counts. The course is shorter to fit within the typical TA training window of two week, but if you fail to complete in the two weeks you will need to recourse or the course may be extended if it is deemed possible to complete within the next few days.

There are airfames earmarked for regular and TA courses, but these are often retasked for operational reasons - there is no such thing as a dedicated TA course aircraft.

The requirement for L5 (landings lesson 5) is absolute - the course picks up from that point, so you will be RTUd if you turn up without an L5 certificate.

Good job this is the rumour service, eh?
  8. Bravo_Zulu

Bravo_Zulu Clanker

What, do TA parachutists not have to be able to land or something? :roll:
  9. Whiskybreath

Whiskybreath Clanker MiA (Donor)

Sure is. In my day they chucked you out at 200ft if you were TAVR. Shorter turnaround, you see, plus no need for any soft 'reserve'; ie 'Regular' pouffechute.

God, things have gone downhill.
  10. The_Duke

I don't land, I arrive! :D
  11. Stonker

Stonker Clanker

If you can walk away - it's a good 'un
  12. The_Duke

Confirmatory wiggle of all extremeties to ensure nothing broken, roll on side for well earned piss then crack on. I am sure that is how it was briefed on my course.
  13. scarletto

scarletto Clanker

I do that, every Sunday morning.
  14. Stonker

Stonker Clanker

I know, yer missus told me, one Monday morning :D
  15. msr

msr Clanker

The way you go on about it I thought you came ;)