1. Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Austria - Vignette

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by scruff_1, Apr 20, 2009.

1. scruff_1

scruff_1 Clanker

Anbody know if I can buy a vignette in advance, if I can where from?

If I can't where would I get one from? I am driving from JHQ to lake Garda and plan to go via Munich so will be driving through Austria.
  2. Mitchthebar

Mitchthebar Clanker

3. Alsacien

Alsacien Clanker Moderator MiA (Donor)

If you are not planning on doing much motorway driving I would not bother, otherwise you can get them at every service station (also in Southern Germany) and at the border.
  4. para_medic

para_medic Clanker MiA (Donor)

Please disregard the last post and DO bother! Buy the damn thing at 7.something EUR for 10 days and don't risk paying the 150+EUR fine. You will get that amount back just by filling up your car in Austria and not in Germany. You get them at every gas station before (in Germany) and on the border.
    They (not police but the Autobahn company) are known to check 100m inside Austria or on the border as you leave or in drive-by raids on the Bahn.
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien Clanker Moderator MiA (Donor)

In more than 50 visits to Austria in the last 10 or more years I have never bought one. Twice I have been stopped in random drink drive clampdowns and it was not checked.
    My Austrian colleagues inform me that if you do not use the motorways you are unlikely to be tagged - but of course it is your own risk.....
  6. nivaraman

nivaraman Swinger

Scruf

Get it in Moenchengladbach office of ADAC
  7. comedy dave

comedy dave Clanker

I got one for Switzerland via their official tourist board on t'interweb. I guess Austria will have something similar.
    May be check Lonely Planet guides their pretty good, or the AA
  8. para_medic

Because thats Polizei not ASFINAG.
    Not only unlikely but impossible as the Vignette is for the Autobahn not normal road usage. Zet is frei. :wink: Go one meter on the Bahn, and going to Garda would require that - buy the damn thing (or take the scenic route), end of.

If ADAC sell it for the same price 7.7 EUR then you can get it there but mind you, you don't want to be loosing a day because you buy early. Really, no prob at all to get at the border (at the latest). That is, if you are planning to take the Autobahn or Schnellstrasse - otherwise: what Alsacien said.
  9. rickshaw-major

rickshaw-major Clanker Supporter - GCM

What he said. I have been stopped twice by ASFINAG. Warum? Foreign number plates -pay the money!

BTW the fine is now 220 Euros! The good news is that they will take credit cards or cash 8)
  10. scruff_1

scruff_1 Clanker

Cheers for that. Will call in there at the weekend.
  11. para_medic

Just remember it starts the day you buy - enjoy the trip and il vino di Garda.