ARRSE, The 1939-45 Version. No Spivs Allowed.

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by sfub, Feb 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. CaptainPlume

CaptainPlume LE

And indeed on the nose of one of our bombers:

[​IMG]

I still think the Memsahib does more damage when she's in a fearful bate!
  2. Stonker

Stonker LE

What an absurd idea? Nobody in their right mind would want to stop real men displaying pictures of pretty girls wherever they hapen to be working.

A little of what you fancy is a vital part of maintaining wartime morale.

Lord help us if this country should ever fall into the hands of the prudes and fuddy-duddies!!
  3. Litotes

Litotes LE

Travel thread.

This bombing and the constant air raids are getting me down and I need a holiday. I was thinking of visiting the nice market town of Exeter. It does look lovely and quiet down there.

Any advice on where I could stay?

Litotes
  4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

That may have been in the pre-war era, but now we have women working in the factories I am fraid that this is no longer acceptable practice and all such pin-ups must be removed immediately.

Mind you I amust admit that I am in the same frame of mind as stonker on this but as we now have female MPs it appears that we are already on the downward slope. I hear that one female MP even predicted that we would have a female PM one day - ridiculous.

2010 mode on> Why is this thread still in the NAAFI Bar? It should be moved to Now that is Arrse forthwith< 2010 mode off.
  5. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Exeter very risky a bit to quiet for you old man
    Can I recomend Coventry,Plymouth or Portsmouth

The first Coventry has nothing to endear it to Jerry in fact if we could capture old Adolf we'd send him to Coventry it's that boring

Plymouth and Portsmouth only a fool would take on the might of the RN

Nothing will happen

Although

[​IMG]
  6. Dunservin

Dunservin LE

My aunt used to stay at the White Lion in Sidwell Street before the war but I hear it's gone to ruin since it was taken over by a chain.

[​IMG]
  7. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

1940. I think it can now be mentioned. The reason our radios were confiscated was a reprisal for the landing of some brave Commando chaps on Guernsey. It appears they were doing a bit of snooping around, and the plot to rescue them was disrupted by weather. They had to go into hiding, and then eventually gave themselves up to avoid getting civilians involved.

Jerry was in quite a bate over the whole affair, as you can imagine. Then, curiously, in December, all the wireless sets were returned. Thank God the BBC keeps going and tells us what's going on.
  8. OllieReeder

OllieReeder War Hero

Dear Litotes

It might seem odd in these times to be recommending a book by a German blighter, but actually a good old-fashioned Saxon chappie, Baedekker, who showed proper appreciation of British culture, produced a rather useful guide to some of the more charming English market towns. You could do a lot worse than flicking through its pages should you want to get away from the Blitz for a few days.

Oliver
  9. OllieReeder

OllieReeder War Hero

Not wishing to cast aspersions on the ladyfolk of the islands. Just hope there won't be any emerging, ahem, issue, ahem, in nine months time.
  10. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Human nature being what it is, I suspect it will be inevitable.

By and large everyone keeps to themselves and just tries to get on with it. At least we're not being bombed.
  11. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Hmm. I have doubts about the morals of that young lady. Where did she get lace like that in these straitened times?
  12. Monty417

Monty417 LE

These shed Herberts seem to be popping up everywhere. I think we should call them Walters or Walts for short, after that James Thurber character, Walter Mitty who was a bit of a pathetic romancer. In fact, it's a useful description of any person pretending to be something that they aint, what!

Shed Walts go away, or better still, I'll use one of my profanity allowances to say. Shed Walts..Fuck off!! There, I've said it.
  13. OllieReeder

OllieReeder War Hero

Sir, I am not sure which saddens me the more: the probability that you are indeed right, or the somewhat relaxed attitude that your reply seems to imply. I know your islands are rather close to France, but a Gallic shrug and "C'est le guerre, c'est la femme," seems to condone a lack of moral rectitude. If I have misread you, I of course apologise heartily.

But if the young women on the mainland can chastely resist the blandishments of Polish airmen and American officers - which my own dear daughter assured me was the very much the case when we were discussing who should chaperone her presence at a Tea Dance the other night - then surely it is not asking too much for the maidens of the Islands to do likewise with the King's Enemies?
  14. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Your people are 'Bombay milk cart', yes?

No offence. Just asking. Not that one needs to.
  15. Got into a conversation with one of the armourers yesterday and surely what he told me can't be true !

The BREN and BESA arn't fine examples of British craftsmanship at all but are the brainchild of some Czecholsovak chappies ??!!

I simply cannot believe it and if it's true it's a damned outrage !

Whatever happenned to good old British weaponry like the Lee Enfield and Vickers !! What are we doing using designs from some obscure two-bob nation that can't defend it's own borders !

Mark my words if things carry on like this we'll even be buying designs from some even more second rate nation, like Belgium for instance, God forbid !