Armed Forces Pension & civilian employment

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by chris951, Mar 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chris951

chris951 War Hero

This may turn into a salutory lesson for me and a useful warning to those who are approaching the end of their service!

I left the Army in 2003 on completion of 22 years service. I now have a pretty decent job which pays rather well. The company I work for has PAYE and I tended not to look too closely at my tax each year. (Foolish??)

That changed today when I had a little think and I suspect that I have underpaid my tax by as much as £1300 per year for the last 2-3 years.

Both my AF Pension tax and my salary tax are administered from the same tax office but I have a suspicion that my tax is not being calculated taking both incomes into account. I spoke to a collegue who is ex-RAF and he said the same thing happened to him and he got hit with an £18,000 tax bill.

I am now worried and think I should write to my tax office and clear this up sooner, rather than being hit with a big bill 2 or 3 years down the line.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and how was it resolved?

If you are leaving soon and think you may hit the 40% threshold, make sure you keep a close eye on things before they get out of hand!

2. Lucky_Jim

Lucky_Jim LE

Chris,

If it helps I've got the current tax thresholds and percentages at home. When I get in from work I can post or PM them to you if you like? Then you can work out how much you shuold be paying before dobbing yourself in.

3. chris951

chris951 War Hero

L-J,

Thanks for the offer but already got them. Wacked together a spreadsheet and did some modelling ... gulp! Shall be going through all my old P60's tonight to see what the full damage is. I may be casting arouond for historical rates & thresholds.

edited for poor spelling!