American Remembrance Day

Discussion in 'US' started by jumpinjarhead, May 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. jumpinjarhead

jumpinjarhead LE

This weekend we remember our fallen on what we call Memorial Day. Sadly, unlike in the UK where on November 11 at 1100 the nation pauses to actually honor its dead, we in America seem to be losing any real sense of what the day means as our fellow Americans head to the beach, lake or backyard for gleeful picnics with precious few of them having a clue why they get Monday off. Each year it seems there are more and more traditional parades and other remembrances canceled for lack of interest or support.

Without my usual apologies for posting things that either have a connection to my faith or too much "flag waving" that seems to offend my British cousins so easily, I post this in honor of our fallen and especially those Marines and Navy corpsmen who I was privileged to lead into harm's way and who paid the ultimate price for the very freedoms that our so many in our nation now take wholly for granted. As long as I have breath, their sacrifice will not be forgotten or diminished.

Semper Fidelis and RIP

Joe,
    "Ski,"
    Ron,
    "Doc,"
    "Chief,"
    "Lobo,"
    Ben,
    "Short Round,"
    "Dog Man," and
    "Herc."

As the Gunny hopefully told you when he arrived last year he and I did our best to get you all home but it was not to be. Keep a tight 360 with LPs well out until I join you at the RP.

• Like Like x 4
  2. DavidBOC

DavidBOC LE

For our British friends who may be a bit bemused by the fact that the US celebrates Memorial Day on the last Monday in May and celebrates Veterans Day (formerly Armistice Day) on November 11th and wonder why.

Memorial Day was created in the immediate aftermath of the US Civil War to honor the Union fallen. The effort to create the day was led by the Grand Army of the Republic, the Union veterans association. It started in the North but became national. It's meaning has also expanded as a day to also honor deceased family, put flowers on mom's grave etc.

Veterans Day(ni Armistice Day) on November 11th started out here as a day to honor both the fallen of WW I and also the veterans of that war. After WW II it became Veterans Day to honor all veterans, living and dead. We have continued to celebrate it on the traditional day, November 11th

On November 11th, 1918 my late father was a teenager living in Boston. He told me that the response was both festive and religious. When the word came out that the armistice had been signed his family gathered around the piano and all sang patriotic songs and hymns as my Aunt Eileen played the piano. Later that day, being RC they went to the local church where an evening Mass of thanksgiving was held. I gather similar services were held in many Protestant churches also.
  3. Canader

Canader War Hero

And, of course, the best part about Memorial Day is that all those hot co-eds flood north into Canada after exams and start getting their kit off for the lads after getting hammered (legal drinking age: 19) on powerful Canuck beer, eh?

And some of them are women, too.
  4. crabtastic

crabtastic LE

5. jumpinjarhead

jumpinjarhead LE

I am glad we can help our friends in the frozen north--would you consider keeping them?
  6. Busterdog

Busterdog LE

Visited the grave of an old friend at Rhode Island Veterans Cemetery today (Sunday), the old boy served from the 1930s (Army) - he was awarded the Soldiers Medal in Panama - served throughout WW2 in Bombers in both the Pacific and European theaters - awarded the AFC and DFC, Korean War, and finally Viet Nam.
    Each grave in the cemetery was marked with the United States flag, the place was immaculate basking in a perfect Spring day, there were many, many people there paying their respects.

I passed through many small towns en-route to the cemetery, all were hosting Memorial Day parades, young and old quietly lining the leafy roads. Motor-cyclists on Memorial Day rides for veteran's charities. Runners carrying flags, cheered by passing motorists.
    Not everyone was at the beach!

My own wee New England village will have its Parade on Memorial Day, practically everyone turns out to show their appreciation and respect.

Lest we forget!
    • Like Like x 2
  7. jumpinjarhead

jumpinjarhead LE

I am gratified to hear this--it does not match my experience down here in the "patriotic" south..
  8. H3

H3 LE

RIP to your fallen ..... From across the pond .
  9. DavidBOC

DavidBOC LE

Sounds just like my town in Massachusetts. All over the South Shore area is like you describe right now. Flags, bunting, vets MC clubs on benefit rides. Very nice to see.
    Next town, Cohasset has an area of flags with a flag for every town resident who served. General Casey (local resident) , who just retired as Army Chief of Staff is speaking in Hingham. The man across the street from me (Scottish man) has been practicing his piping all weekend (he's pretty good at it)

Attached Files:

10. Canader

Canader War Hero

Sure. We need more people we can successfully wind up with fascinating stories about our close personal relationship with the Royal Family. It soothes our perpetually fragile egos.
  11. DavidBOC

DavidBOC LE

I would gather the relationship is fairly close. I noted in the picture at post 9 on this page:
    http://www.arrse.co.uk/naafi-bar/163236-if-your-boss-woman.html

that Her Majesty is wearing her badge of the Order of Canada above all her other badges
  12. Canader

Canader War Hero

Yes, but as she is the Queen of Canada I assume that she awarded it to herself: quite embarrassing really. I said as much to Princess Margaret once, when I met her at the Sandhurst passing out Parade, but she insisted that we all try to keep it in the family, don't y'know?
  13. Ruckerwocman

Ruckerwocman LE

The Dayton (OH) VA hospital has organized a pretty full celebration for this weekend. It has booked talent (both professional and amateur) to perform patriotic music for the general public as well as the residents of the VA domicillary. It has also opened up its grounds for re-enactment units to put on displays of soldiers during the Civil War and other periods. The 5th Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery Regiment was in attendance with their Napoleon and it was fired regularly to give an inkling as to how the Red Legs did it in the Civil War. On another part of the grounds there were a few chaps putting on impressions of the 82nd Airborne from WW II. A little hand to hand combat training, a little roll-mat knife fighting demo (sorry, no pool was handy) and a little demonstration of how the paras wore their combat equipment.

Even GEN Ulysses S. Grant and BG George A. Custer were there to give an interesting talk on how they fought the Civil War on the Federal side and President Abraham Lincoln read out his famous Gettysburg Address at the solemn moment where we were remembering the fallen. Not a bad observance indeed in my opinion.(To my way of thinking, Abraham Lincoln is probably only one of a select few presidents that I would call really good. We got lucky there. Even though he came from Illinois he was honest, which you can't say about the current regime I'm sorry to say.)

MemDay9.jpg MemDay8.jpg MemDay7.jpg MemDay6.jpg MemDay4.jpg MemDay5.jpg MemDay3.jpg MemDay2.jpg MemDay1.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Canader

Canader War Hero

15. Drlligaf

Drlligaf LE

Powerful Canuck beer? Canader what have you been smoking?

JJHs opening comments surprised and dismayed me. I was of the opnion that in America the fallen would be shown more respect on Remembrance Day. From this side of the Pond a belated RIP.