ACF Lesson plans/Powerpoint presentations

Discussion in 'ACF' started by dui-lai, May 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. dui-lai

dui-lai LE

Hi folks,

newly commissioned to the ACF (used to be Regs) and trying to get my detachment up to speed with lesson plans and lessons on powerpoint.
    Now being a lazy bugger does anyone out there have access to all the star levels that I can use and abuse? If I started to do it now, I would commit suicide by Tuesday!
    Please help me and my stress levels, PM me or leave an abusive note on here!

2. KitKats

KitKats Swinger

Downloads

This of any use to you?

KitKats

3. Beware of powerpoint though. The kids get powerpointed to death at school all day, and they might not be too keen for an extra hour or so of it two nights a week.

4. chocolate_frog

chocolate_frog

Powrpoint?

what will you need power point for? The kids are there to enjoy themselves whilst learning not death by poer point.

Top tip. bin the power point. do it all practically and the old fashioned way (with white board and magnets, etc).

get sucked in to the psiren that is powerpoint and the Cadets will be zombies before NAAFI break.

5. SLUDGE

SLUDGE War Hero

Firstly well done for giving your time up to instruct in the ACF, I'm a big fan of PowerPoint but only for certain subjects and I always throw in some hands on practical so as not to bore the students , there is room for both methods as long as you get a good mix , Kids do get very bored easily .

6. chocolate_frog

chocolate_frog

Another point, are your J and SCIs (current and future) are not going to have access to Powerpoint are they? So you should do the lesson with what htey have available. In this way you are giving them good TP demos.

7. dwills

dwills Old-Salt

I know the person who made most of them, strange they haven't updated them ;-)

8. tom_dkg

tom_dkg LE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    POWERPOINT IS THE GREATEST INNOVATION EVER!

It is, or should be, one of the most effective weapons in the ACF armoury!

Anyone can use the Power-Point weapon, but how do we use it most
    efectively to inflict casulalties on the enemy?

But the weapon is only as good as the person behind the trigger, so these
    two lessons, basic and advanced, are to show you how to get the best "kill ratio" from your use of Power-Point.

BASICS - you must first practise weakening your audience. They will not
    be ready for your "Advanced" practice otherwise.

The enemy will appear in front of you with varying degrees of enthusiasm.
    This is dangerous, and the "basic" lesson is about weakening that interest
    to a point where you can move in with "Advanced" techniques.

1. ensure your equipment is working well, but that some of your audience
    is just too distant to see the detail (see 2). Similarly, make sure that if you use sound-byes, they cannot be heard throughout the room.

2. it is imperative that you have a lot of detail on all your slides Whilst you talk, it is necessary that half the audience are trying to read the small-print. A few spelling errors are acceptable, indeed useful.

3. you must read off the powerpoint yourself, otherwise you might interest
    the audience and this keeps their adrenalin at too high a level for success.

4. calculate carefully the time that your audience needs to absorb the
    information on each slide, and be prepared to switch to the next slide when about 75% of the audience are through the first.

5. imperative that you do not face your audience whilst reading as (3),
    above. Eye contact with the enemy can be off-putting and dangerous.

6. to avoid being accused of a boring presentation you must use many
    colours, and it helps if you actually change shades or these, or even
    better, the colours for equivalent objects as your presentation progresses.

7. use as many sound effects as you can, and the less appropriate the
    better. These should not relate well to the slide, and are purely designed to take your audience's attention away from the information you are
    presenting, and have the more alert of the enemy concentrating upon defining noises.

8. always a bit of icing on the cake if you can manage to speak in a
    monotone, and never loud enough for more than 90% of the enemy to
    hear.

At the end of this basic lesson you should be able to inspect your audience and check for glazing of the eyes. Some activity in the audience can be a good sign, a few will quietly checking their phones for messages, looking at their organisers, or gently snoring. Those are acceptable.

You do have to discipline any who are chatting among themselves, as this can re-invigorate them.

You should have now achieved "Powerpoint Glaze", the first step to your goal.

ADVANCED
    1. At the point where your presentation risks being interesting, you should
    choose a part of your topic that is purely teaching a skill. For example,
    stripping a weapon would be a real winner. Choose your slides carefully so that the item you are naming is not large enough for the pointer to completely identify it without also pointing out adjacent items.

2. Do NOT ever confirm with your audience that they have understood
    what you have presented. This bears huge risks of waking the near-asleep.

3. Try to find a suitable video clip, when you have done the basics, this
    will briefly excite the enemy, but is a deliberate inducement of false
    security. Make sure you cannot find this clip quickly, and choose it so
    that it has only a short bit in the middle related to your topic. By the time
    they notice it that, it will have gone back to the irrelevant bit.

4. At the end always ask questions! This is standard practice!
    Do be careful, though, to
    a) ask the question without looking at the audience and
    b) retain the monotone.
    With an average enemy this should achieve a "Death by Powerpoint" of about 10% of your enemy.

A further 60% of the enemy will be damaged sufficiently to not wish to return for a furtrher confrontation.

You need not worry about the remaining 30%. These are usually undamaged but asleep, so you can mop them up later when they return another day.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I find that key points, facts or the brief to a practical excercise are best left up on the screen.

Another good use of PP is in the orders process, if briefing a large number of cadets in camp/det before an excercise. Google earth photos and other pics taken on your recce beforehand can be very useful and looks professional. Makes the cadets feel like its a well planned deployment, not just a **** about with blank and rat packs.

10. saladin

saladin LE

The problem with that is that most CFAV are shite at using white boards/black boards as well so the lesson usually ends up looking totally unprofessional to kids who are used to high quality IT and lots of AV at school.

Theres lots of stuff that is solidly hands on - SAA etc, so the best bet is probably to have a couple of subjects in one evening - some deskwork, some practical - but when doing "deskwork" use the best possible materials, engineer them to suit your style if required and FFS rehearse it first !

11. chocolate_frog

chocolate_frog

Get 'em unused to high quality IT and AV.

They may as well get ued to the idea that not everyhas that sort of facility.

CFAVs get better at using white boards etc... it's called preparation, and rehearsal. Strangely you need to do both with Pwr point anyway.

Once you have a set of mag markings, dry wipe pens and a white board you can do your lesson ANYwhere.

12. dui-lai

dui-lai LE

Hi folks, cheers for the link, ideal and don't worry I know when to use and not to use Powerpoint. I am great believer in varying the type of MoI and see hands on as better than death by PP!

13. acfofficer

acfofficer Swinger

Best of luck to you, keep posting for more thoughts and tips, but I totally agree about "Death By Powerpoint" Practicals are so much better!