A Moment In Time : A Free book on the British Army

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by gam47, Nov 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. gam47

gam47 Swinger

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    In September of last year, I offered free to all interested parties in the forum "Current Affairs, News and Analysis." under the heading "The British Army 2008 : A Free Book"

This book being a "A Moment In Time : The British Army", and electronic copy revised from the original hardcover.

Due to a glitch, I became unable to get back onto the thread, and a number of people who received it stated the same.

Having offered up on other discussion groups, by this October, some 7,500 copies have now been sent out, and it is up on a number of websites as a permanent download item. And many people have subsequently sent copies on - one gentleman in South Korea informed me with great glee that he had sent 107 copies off to fellow enthusiasts!

Due to a great deal of feedback, I have decided to revamp the text and enhance it with events/actions that have occurred over the past year. The bulk of the book is still of course current and correct. The chapters will be changed around, for examples all UK Special Forces will be in one chapter, as will military music.

And such as the regiments of infantry will have individual chapters, this to include a comprehensive historical entry for their origins - rather than the simple listing of the original regiments of foot from which they originated. Other historical items will also be enhanced.

Therefore I request that anyone has any ideas for such to enhance the text, I would be most appreciative.

Having written to the publishers and given them hard/disc copies of the book, I was very disappointed to see when I received a copy of "The Armed Forces of the United Kingdom 2010-2011" a certain amount of incorrect information. And I hope that the next edition of my text will correct this.

Due to copyright reasons, I had removed from the electronic text the 124 photos and 70 drawings that had been in the hardcover. For those interested, a website jam packed full of good quality photos of British vehicles :
    http://plain-military.tripod.com
    Whilst for those persons who prefer a hard copy, the following profusely illustrated, but quite cheap books are available from Tankograd Publishing, Am Weichselgarten, Germany
    REME : Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers : Vehicles of 2 Battalion
    REME - Equipment Support to 7th Armoured Brigade.
    Royal Armoured Engineers.
    British Next Generation Armour : Types and Details of Modern British Vehicle
    Armour.
    British Army Training Unit Suffield : Types and Details of Modern British
    Vehicle Armour.
    The company will deal directly with mail order purchasers, and these books
    (in German and English) I cannot recommend more highly.

For those persons who wish to see enhancements made to the text, please contact me at :
    gam47@bigpond.com

I hope to put out the 2nd Edition (soley as a electronic text - no hardcover this time) in December/January.

And of course if anyone wants a copy of the original, just ask - it is FREE!
    Yours,
    G/.
    G.A.MACKINLAY

2. AAGF

AAGF LE

As one of the early downloaders - again, thank you for your generosity in providing this book. There's a wealth of research information that makes for fascinating (and free) reading.

3. gam47

gam47 Swinger

Sir,
    thankyou for your kind remarks.
    Yours,
    G/.
    G.A.MACKINLAY

4. Ruckerwocman

Ruckerwocman LE

I second AAGF's comment. I downloaded the book courtesy of Mr. Mackinlay and I found it a wealth of information. I thank you sir for a very useful book.

5. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

I received this too, and its fair to say there is a lot of hard work and dedication that has gone into the writing of this work.

Thanks again.

6. PE4rocks

PE4rocks LE

May I just echo the comments of the other responders.