9,000 soldiers leave the army each year

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by ben0239, Nov 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ben0239

ben0239 Old-Salt

There are 9000 people leaving the regular army each year, all the TA and government need to do is give more incentive for these people to join the TA and then the problem of recruiting would be solved. We may not get all of them to join but if we can get ten per cent that would make a huge difference.

2. b_flat

b_flat Old-Salt

Hi Ben,

This links into the the thread about the "Old" TA, where one correspondant mentioned (I'm paraphrasing here) that when he joined, the older members of the regiment were ex-reg full screws over 40. Now he's one of the oldest as a Sgt, below 40. Having been in a while myself, I know what he is saying is true.

The ex-regs don't seem to join the TA after leaving the Regular Army anymore.

Why?

The conclusion that I came up with is that if, as has been suggested, many are leaving the Regular Army because of back to back tours, then they are unlikely to want to join the TA where there is a good chance they'll be straight back out on tours again.

If this is the case, then TA is being eroded from both ends, not just by the loss of the new people who join, do "their" tour, and are off after 2 to 3 years, but also by a reduction of time served experienced regs, who no longer want to be involved.

Best Regards,

b_flat

3. milkandcheese

milkandcheese Old-Salt

That is interesting. Round me, the ex reg NCOs are equal number to the TA NCOs. I don't see the inside of many other units though, I might take up some invites and have a look.